A funny book about how a vegetarian city girl who became an accidental meat eating cowgirl that lives on a ranch, cooks , blogs, and photographs. ( Not a professional book review ) I loved the book ! I couldn't wait to get to her website to try some of her recipes.
|The Pioneer Woman Cooks by Ree Drummond|
The men in my home ( my husband and 4 boys ) all love meat and potatoes. Ree's recipes are full of both ingredients. So, while my husband made a "man meal" for dinner, I made one that I was sure the kids wouldn't eat. Linguine with clam sauce. Its been on my menu list for two weeks . But, when the kids ask " What's for dinner ?" and I reply . " Linguine with clam sauce... YUM!!" I get very discouraging looks. So, this was a compromise . They have chili with lots of beans and meat and I have my long awaited linguine with clams.
This recipe is soo easy and so quick to prepare. It was done in less than 12 minutes ( including boiling the pasta) . I did make a few adjustments to the recipe. I added two cans of clams ( Need you ask why?) and I reduced the wine to 1/4 cup and used the juice from the clams to make up the 3/4 of a cup. Perfection!! Best part? Leftovers for tomorrow.
|Linguine with white clam sauce|
Here's the recipe!!
- 1 pound linguine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 ten ounce cans chopped clams, drained and juice reserved
- 3/4 cup white wine
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, plus lemon slices for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- Grated parmesan cheese
1. Cook the linguine according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, heat olive oil and one tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add garlic and clams and cook for 3 minutes.
3. Pour in the white wine, scraping the bottom of the pan with spoon. Cook for 3-4 minutes until sauce is reduced. Add remaining butter and stir to melt.
4. Reduce heat and squeeze in the lemon juice and add the cream.
5. Add salt and pepper and parsley.
6. Add the pasta to the clam sauce . Toss to combine, and garnish with lemon slices and Parmesan cheese.
Check out her website for lots of great recipes ! She has a new show on Saturday's that is one of the best on the Food Network. ( This is not a paid advertisement.. just like her !!) Off to buy some cowgirl boots, pack my stuff and move to a ranch!! ;)