Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Garden The Harvest

First harvest ..peas
I grew up with the blessings of a garden.  There is something amazing about sitting down to a dinner of fresh corn on the cob, fresh sliced tomatoes, and mashed potatoes that taste like whip cream.  I grew up like that.  But, I have to admit that I didn't completely  appreciate it.  Today, my son and I walked to the garden and picked some fresh basil to make a tomato and mozzarella salad.
tomato mozzarella salad

There is just something amazing about growing your own vegetables. He echoed the way I was feeling when he picked the basil and said " Mom there is something cool about picking a vegetable from the garden and making dinner with it" . I completely agree.

garden gate
strawberries
The garden is in bloom and we are enjoying the "harvest".  I am still learning the rules of gardening.  I am a work in progress  . But, luckily the earth knows what to do when you plant something and water it.  I have a book full of recipes that are just waiting for the many vegetables, berries and goodies that are yet to harvest.

My green thumb came only as a result of the mistakes I made while learning to see things from the plant's point of view.  ~H. Fred Dale

1 comment:

Noly's Nest.... said...

wow, I envy your garden! The salad looks amazing!!