Wednesday, March 9, 2011

BRASS TO BRONZE

I love oil bronze finishes.  I had my eye on a beautiful sconce that would look perfect on either side of our fireplace . 



While "junking" a few weeks ago I stumbled upon these two very brass very ugly sconces. They had been passed up for weeks by many including myself.  Everyone seems to be updating their homes and donating those old "brass" pieces. But, I had an idea and frankly I fell in love with the price. Both sconces for $3.00.

 
After cleaning them up with soap and water and a few coats of oil bronze spray paint they are beautiful. The secret is to spray a few light coats .


Here is the paint that I used. I tried a few different brands but this really is the best match to an oil bronze finish.  
Rust-oleum Metallic Oil Bronze Finish

That was so easy I thought... what else? Those ugly vent covers . 


Those are drying in the garage !!! 
 Imagine the possibilities! Those old brass chandeliers, drawer pulls, door hinges? My imagination is exploring all the options. Yours?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely job of "repurposing", Robyn! Good for you!!

another good thing said...

That's an awesome job! I painted the long brass extender to a ceiling fan and all the ceiling fan parts that were shiny brass with rust/antiquing paint when I was too cheap to replace the fan in 2002.
I didn't even take it apart, just borrowed a very very tall ladder and climbed up there. ;)
It still looks great, and is certainly a one of a kind piece.

kara@elements-interiors.net said...

I LOVE this! Its FAB!!! Come on 'ova and share this at my Linky Par-Tay!

*ENTER LINKY PAR-TAY Here! *

xoxokara

Selina@CreativeJuicesDecor said...

Love that! Next you'll have to show us where you put the sconces.

Thanks for stopping by my blog :-)

TaraLee said...

Clever Lady! Looks great. Would never have known it was Brass...

Terry said...

Oh yea girl, great eye and paint is a miracle worker.

kara@elements-interiors.net said...

WOW! Amazing what a lil spray paint will do!

Thank you for linking up this great post last week! {Im a lil behind, eeekk!}

Its party time AGAIN!!! xoxokara



*ENTER LINKY PAR-TAY Here! *

French Hen Farm said...

they look great! good job!

Anonymous said...

Appreaciate for the work you have put into the article, it helps clear up a few questions I had.