Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Garden Gate

Its beautiful... simply beautiful.

The gate is finished and hung snugly on the new garden fence.  There is something amazing about going into the woods, gathering tree branches , and building a garden gate. I have to admit my handy husband did the structural part... the measuring, figuring , and most of the assembly with nails and screws . ( This does have to be a working gate after all)

 My part you ask?  Creative director. I designed it, picked out the branches according to their beauty, and assembled them in place.

Many have asked "how" ? Here are a few pictures of the process.
We assembled the gate with galvanized screws .

Laid out the four sides of the gate .
We hung the gate with metal brackets .
My sweet handy husband that worked so hard on our garden,
My little gardener watering the plants.

I call this successful! For the cost of a few pegs and a bracket set, we have a garden fence and gate for $17.00!! I was told for all the hard work that went into this project we had better yield a major harvest.  Maybe I will start a local vegetable stand? That is for another day......



Today, I walked through my garden gate to water my garden... simply bliss!!!!!

6 comments:

Terry said...

It's a thing of beauty and I hope you patted the hubby on the back for a job well done. This is a lovely garden spot.

penny said...

Oh I love it!!! It looks like it came from a storybook. You guys have mad skills. I must admit I am coveting the gate. Love the blog.

StephanieRuth said...

I found your blog from the Link Party over at Thrifty Decor Chic and I love this gate very much! I was wondering if you could tell me if you treated the gate and fencing with anything to perserve it? I have recruited my hubby to duplicate this and wanted to ask before we started. Thanks very much for the inspiration!

Robyn Smyles said...

Stephanie, So excited you are going to make your own gate. We did not treat the lumber as we left the bark on it. But, we did use a clear caulk on the areas that were exposed (where the fence was joined together or where the hardware was attached to the gate) . This just gives it a good seal . Please post pictures !!

kara@elements-interiors.net said...

I LOVE the Bends in the branches you used! So Rustic!

Thank you for linking up this great post last week! {Im a lil behind, eeekk!}

Its party time AGAIN!!! xoxokara



*ENTER LINKY PAR-TAY Here! *

Dawne Thoughts said...

I loved your gate so much we tried a similar idea for our gate. Thanks for your wonderful & CHEAP creativity.
I've linked to your post from my post at: http://dawnethoughts.wordpress.com/2011/07/25/entering-a-magical-garden/

I'd be pleased to make any changes you'd like, or post a picture.

Vanessa Dawne
dawnedesign.net