Thursday, January 6, 2011

Decorating with thrift store treasures

Someones junk tends to be my treasure.  I "see" the potential in what others see as junk.  I usually keep a running mental list of items I am looking for.  I find if I am patient, I usually find that item at a price that make my toes tap.   When we remodeled our kitchen and added the custom island , I knew a chandelier above the island was top on my wish list.  The retail shops had what I was looking for but not at a bargain price .  I waited over a year but last week, I found my treasure.  Imagine my excitement when I saw the price tag---$ 18.00 ..... SOLD!!!!



My handyman husband was not as thrilled . Installation is his specialty.  We installed recessed lights during the remodel and the new light fixture was going to replace one of them.  The install was easy and the end result was perfection.   It adds light to the island and character to the kitchen.

Our dining room needed a buffet table. A place to serve food so we have more room at the table.  I had been on the hunt for over a year and just didn't find that right piece. What I did find was a pair of lamps perfect for a buffet table. The lamps with the shades were priced at 15.00 ( for both) .  






 Then, I realized I had a sofa table in my family room that , with a coat of paint, would be perfect as a buffet table .  Sometimes the treasures are right under your roof! You just need to see them in a different capacity.  Now, that's a bargain!

This was the desk area in the kitchen.
 We installed a new desk ( a vanity used from a master bedroom demo) and added a shelf unit I found at the thrift store for 1.50.  My handyman husband used mouldings to make it look built in and to match it to the kitchen cabinets that were installed.  I painted it the same color as the cabinets and added a brown paint on the back.


The family bathroom needed an update.  The existing vanity was ugly but a solid wood custom piece from another era.


I found a faucet and corian sink top that was a display at a local hardware store. After a bit of negotiation , I handed them 20.00 and I walked out with my a smile.  I decided to remove the doors and use baskets for storage under the sink.  A few coats of paint,  a 2.00 handle to match the faucet, and baskets found on clearance at the same store, I called it a success.




Decorating with thrift store finds is a great way to update your home without emptying your bank account.

No comments: